Tuesday 28 June 2011

The Classic Pass - its TRUE origin!

The 'classic pass', or 'shift', or 'hop' has had many claimants over the years as to its originator. Now I don't want to get into a debate on history. I'll leave that to the experts. I'm just a humble card man, and I don't want to get into politics right now. But here's a thought: has anyone noticed the similarity between the pass as described by a certain S.W. Erdnase in 1902 and the pass as described by me, Barry Solayme, in the December 1901 edition of Armageddon?

I thought as much. Apart from the fact that the guy COULDN"T WRITE TO SAVE HIS LIFE, and the TERRIBLE ILLUSTRATIONS, there are a hell of a lot of coincidences. Too many to be a coincidence, if you take my meaning...

Now, no one claims that Erdnase invented the pass, some say it's hundreds of years old, as old as playing cards themselves in fact. I'm not disputing that. Like I said, I leave that to all you historians. But when I was court magician to a certain King Arthur, back in the day, let's just say I had a pretty radical idea involving 52 pieces of rectangular, stiffened parchment. Let's just leave it at that.

Oh, and by the way, it might not be a COINCIDENCE, that if you take the letters of BARRY SOLAYME, mix them up, take some away, then add a couple, you get "MERLIN". Just saying.

BS

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Richy. God does bless me, every single day of my sweet life. You might be interested in my new book, "From Merlin to Barry and Back Again". IT'S A STEAL AT $75!!! Drop me an email and I'll send you a copy!! After I get the money of course!!!! Don't forget the $35 for worldwide postage. Paypal the usual address!!!

    BS

    ReplyDelete